Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Grandfather

By Carl

I had begun the Monday by discussing tragedies. According to my English teacher, a man’s death, however heartbreaking or disastrous, would not be a tragedy. To her, Aristotle, Frye, Hegel and Schlegel, it would simply be pathetic to them, there was not enough scope to a single mundane death to render it significant. An epic was needed; a grandiose tale chronicling the fall of a character larger than life but still diminutive before death. A simpleton stepping before an oncoming bus was not enough to qualify as a tragedy.

I had ended the Monday also discussing tragedies. My grandfather had died.

Who was he? Who was he to me? An old man. Father of my father. Liver of a hard life. Lover of my father’s mother. Enjoyer of few joys. My grandfather.

I had lost my shoes in the ditch next to my school. I had fallen in and it appeared that they had followed suit. The ditch was deep and we were poor. Shoes came rarely and when they did they were usually the cheap used ones. My shoes had been new. I was told later by my mother that my grandfather had labored to fish them out with a long stick; my mind’s eye sees him now. Bent over the chasm. What did he see in there? My shoes or me? I got my shoes back the next day.

He had taught me how to bike. It was embarrassing not to know, so I demanded the lessons. By attaching a metal bar at an angle to the end of my bicycle, he could hold on and direct me away from dangerous falls. I didn’t fall and I learned how to ride a bike. Like they say, I never forgot. I couldn’t.

He had taken me up the mountains to catch butterflies. We saw trees blossoming with dainty white and pink flowers. In the bottle that I brought with me stored a caterpillar I had caught. Maybe one day it would blossom as well.

I was craving sweets. I was craving for pets. I was craving for bananas. I asked and I received. He bought me my lollipops, my baby chicks, and my slightly sweet and succulent bananas; just how I liked them.

According to my grandmother, it had been during the night. She found him the next morning on the kitchen floor, already cold. Maybe he had gotten up to get his medication. Maybe he had never made it there.

We all die. A lucky few of us get to choose the time and place. Most of us live in squalid fear—when is my next day going to arrive? Having never met our mortality, we treat it as a stranger and thus forget about the one friend that will stay with us until we gasp our last breath. That Monday was a good choice. His children had all planned holidays and travels. Even his wife had wanted to travel around the country. Yet for some reason all of them had planned them for some time after that Monday. He chose well.

My father collapsed upon hearing the news. How? When? Why? My father had cried all night. His sobs made my baby brothers, too young to understand, giggle and laugh. A vision of a cold stone body thousands of miles away from his oldest son. My father is still crying.

I do not suppose I am smarter than my English teacher. Aristotle, Frye, Hegel and Schlegel probably all have the mental advantage over me as well. But in this instance, in this time, they are wrong. Simply wrong.

It was a tragedy in every sense of the word.

12 comments:

Hecius said...

真的很好。我读过的你儿子写的最好的文章,so far. 写文章这事儿,能学的,就是多学几个吓人的华丽词汇,独立思想的能力在学校几乎学不到。能把思考的结果写清楚,就算有写作天赋了。很喜欢这篇。
生活本身就是曲悲剧。乐观者会不同意。我废话太多,有些感动。

Hecius said...

我觉得受中国教育和美国教育的区别,就在于生活里什么更重要。受我们的教育,常常觉得那些微不足道的事情,不值一提。我说过,真的有幸一个人思考的的时候,往往是那些很小很小的事情让你感动得流泪。这些小事感动的是自己,而不是别人。所以,卡尔的老师们不认为是悲剧。别人的悲剧,对自己又算什么呢?有些小事,连当事人也会慢慢忘了,不是那些小事对自己不重要,而是因为那些小事对别人不重要,不常提起来,慢慢地,就忘记了。这篇真的很感人。我本来要写Ed在911中死去,周围的人强烈反对。我想这就是为什么悲剧更会令人震撼吧。悲剧会让人思考人、逼着人面对现实。废话太多请原谅,有感停不住。

Hecius said...

有话不说,实在难受。你跟你儿子写一个悲剧,我作为一个儿子、丈夫、父亲,看了你儿子的,是感动。看了你的,是羡慕。很不一样,我没说谁写得更好。这是不是男人跟女人的差别呢?我常常受到女权运动者的批评,可我确实常常看到男人跟女人的差别,特别是在写作上。你儿子一定要去学新闻系。

Hecius said...

有时候,想起生命中的一个女人的怨恨眼神,就会想流泪。人很可悲。无能为力。

朵朵妈 said...

Hecius, 谢谢你一大早码了这么多文字, 能理解你现在的心情, 这几天也一直在思考, 生活的意义在哪里?我们的归宿在哪里?
活着的人, 往往会为一些鸡毛蒜皮的小事上计较, 争个高底, 即使是比鸡毛蒜皮的事大, 赢了输了, SO WHAT? 人走那天, 还不是两手空空?
我们的归宿呢? 老家? 北京? 美国? 好像都不是,为此感到困惑.

朵朵妈 said...

有些事情, 的确是无能为力, 我们能做的, 就是在能为力的范围内, 把能做的发挥的最大. 人有的时候很自负, 以为把事情安排的PERFECT的时候, 在去做一些事情, 其实, 哪有PERFECT? 上帝安排事情, 是不按你的计划走的. 那时留下的就是后悔和遗憾.

Anonymous said...

你家老大的感悟和文字真是好,就像你。都是不华丽的平实的文笔,可是直击人心,这要怎样的沉淀和功力。

你和你朋友的探讨太深奥,太多故事,我只是远远的敬仰一下吧。

AAmom

meimei said...

大姐,
这两天忙昏了头,才又上来看到老大的文章。真是太喜欢他的文字了。 同意前面Hecius所说的,我读过的你儿子写的最好的文章。 这样好的天分,他以后如果不去写作,可惜了。

请节哀。。。保重。

shufang said...

大姐,前两天就看到这个了,不知怎么安慰你好,拍拍。BTW, 我给你发了一个鸡毛信在shbh.

朵朵妈 said...

meimei, AAmom, 谢谢你们了,他的文章里没看到一个“LOVE”, 我看第一遍的时候,还觉得这孩子怎么这么冷,多看了几便,才明白他的意思,都在后面藏着呢。每个孩子都有自己的个性。

朵朵妈 said...

SHUFANG, 看到你的信了,早点说多好,我会留心的。

Edel said...

你这个儿子啊....都不知道说什么好了. 太棒了.

I was craving sweets. I was craving for pets. I was craving for bananas. I asked and I received. He bought me my lollipops, my baby chicks, and my slightly sweet and succulent bananas; just how I liked them.

他简单地写一些小事,又想想death, this old friend其实一直都在我们身边. 大姐,这个孩子其实你啥都不用管,他都会是个很成功,很智慧,又很担当的好男人.